From: fjm <bad_hat@xxxxxxxx>
To: h-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:41:43 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] RE: blown out harps

There does seem to be some similarity between singing and playing harmonica.  I would imagine that a lot of the techniques cross over but not being formally trained in voice I can only venture guesses. Ever pick up a harmonica backwards and try to play it?  Remember what happened?  for me the note doesn't sound.  Why? Impedance mismatch. Mike and I were having an argument something along these lines.  I went so far as to use a regulated air stream to sound notes.  Low notes would not sound at the same pressure as higher notes and the range of acceptable pressures was narrow.  Vern has done similar experimentation with a vacuum  source.  A pity that Pat Missin no longer graces us with his company.  No doubt he'd have more informed thoughts on this topic than I do.  fjm