[Harp-L] RE: Joys of Solid State - Now Cheap Amps

Our club has several members who are not ready for investment in a tube amp.
They are just beginners and hobbyists.  Some are on fixed incomes and others
are blue collar with limited income.  Some play garage sale specials,
pawnshop oddities, etc. One guy showed up at our jam last month with a great
sounding old off brand solid state amp, complete with reverb, that he bought
for fifteen bucks at a garage sale.  My "knock around" amp right now is a
Behringer GX-108 which appears to be Chinese knockoff of the old Danelectro
Nifty Fifty.  Does anybody on list have any useful experience with these
bargain basement solid state amps and if so what wisdom would you pass along
to the beginner, kid, senior citizen, etc. who only wants to spend a few
bucks to play amplified?  With your permission you may be re-quoted on our
club website, since I intend to post an article on this subject there.

Bill Kumpe
Tulsa