Fw: [Harp-L] fugue state

----- Original Message ----- From: "Vern Smith" <jevern@xxxxxxx>
To: <jim.alciere@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2009 10:55 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] fugue state

----- Original Message ----- From: <jim.alciere@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2009 4:28 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] fugue state

I was reading an interview with Phil Lesh (bass player for the Dead) who
said he didn't have a clue how to play rock bass--didn't really know
anything about pop music being a classical composer, so he played
counterpoint on the bass.

"Alberti Bass" is a also pattern that would be familiar to a classical musician and sounds great in other genres. See http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/texta/AlbertiBass.html

I looked up counterpoint (in Wikipedia--isn't the
21st Century cool?) and Bach was right there as the expert. It's a cool
concept. You write two completely separate melodies, which also have to
magically harmonize. So is anyone doing this with harmonica?

I play Bach's Two-Part Invention in Am #13 on Hands-Free-Chromatic harmonica and Guitar. It is a keyboard counterpoint piece that I have transcribed so that the harp plays the right-hand part and the guitar plays the left-hand part. If you request by off-list email, I will send you a *.pdf copy of the sheet music.

Bach's two and three part inventions are "classical" examples of counterpoint.

Vern