Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 09:00:49 -0500
From: "Bill Kumpe" <bkumpe@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Endorsements
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

Sonnytone Jr. and The List:

Insofar as I may have inadvertently impugned the integrity of any performer
or any vendor, I apologize profusely.  But, please let me explain the
context of my comments.

First, I am an attorney and I handle a talent contract every once in a
while.  The talent usually gets told what clothes they have to wear, what
makeup consultant they have to use, who they can publicly associate with on
a commercial basis and even who they can associate with privately if that
association might violate the typical morals and manners clause in most
talent contracts.

Second, common sense tells you that many so-called celebrity endorsements
are nothing more than paid ads worked out in the business office by the
agents and the advertisers.  At one local radio station, the same
optometrist has been the "friend," "close family friend" or "my buddy"
through three consecutive talent changes.  Just so happens the good doc is a
big advertiser on the station.  The ads are so smooth, you hardly know they
are ads.  "Had barbecue at good ole doc x's place this weekend.  He has a
great family and is a great cook.  I sure am glad I let him treat me and got
to know him and staff.  They are great folks, etc.  ad infinitum, ad
nauseum.  This same station almost got in trouble with the FCC when they
were in another format for close relationship between their largest
advertiser, a local car dealer, and their on air talent.

Third, I stand by my statement about off the shelf equipment.  If I, as a
businessman, have invested heavily in a celebrity endorser, I am going to
make darn sure he gets the best possible product my company can produce.  I
would like to say that I would treat every customer the same, but we both
know that that is just not going to be the case.  It's just human nature and
the nature of business.

So again, insofar as I may cast a false light upon any performer or vendor,
I apologize because I know nothing about the professional harp world.  But,
I do know a bit about the business world and feel that my comments, in that
context, were factual.

Bill Kumpe