Re: [Harp-L] Re: Some thoughts on Charlie's Red Knob Twin, endorsements, etc.

Greg, as I've explained to you privately, you miss my point completely.  I
have no doubt Charlie Musselwhite loves Gary's amps and your microphones.
My question was about the endorsements.

Your argument in this post hinges on the words "suggests" and "preference,"
which seem pretty thin reeds upon which to hang such a strident
point.  However, the endorsements that appear on your website suggest to the
reasonable observer a relationship that apparently does not exist.  In this
case -- for whatever reason -- Charlie Musselwhite did not play your mic or
Gary's amp.  The question is very reasonable:  What exactly do the
endorsements mean?  To the reasonable observer the endorsements imply an
exclusive commitment.

I asked the question and you got offended.  Sorry about that, but you have
yet to answer the question.  This topic may be uncomfortable for you, but it
is still worth exploring.

Are you a NASCAR fan? I don't think anybody believes Mark Martin uses only
the products whose names are festooned on his drivers suit, but they DO know
that the biggest emblem on his suit -- the Chevrolet bow tie -- means
something.  He wouldn't be caught dead driving anything else in a NASCAR
race as long as that endorsement exists.  This analogy may not be perfect,
but it is apt.

I'm working on a story for my blog about product endorsements among touring
musicians.  I've contacted many vendors and artists, and I'll try to lend
some clarity to this rather murky topic.  The story should be ready in a
couple weeks, and I'll post a link here when it is published.

--
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog