Re: [Harp-L] RE: blown out harps

Mad Dog, thanks for the reply.  You are talking my language, man!

My band plays out 4 to 6 times a month, and I blow out maybe 3 harps.  Same
as you, D-harps are the most common to bite the dust.  In D I've tried Big
River, Blues Harp, Special 20, and Lee Oskar.  Makes no difference, a reed
fails after a few gigs. I love Marine Band Deluxe harps, and I had Victor
replace a reed on my A MBD, but now I have so much money into it I'm afraid
to play it.

Usually it is the 5-draw reed that fails, a note I play less than others,
But I use it a lot in the 4-5 draw trill that I bend down a bit.

At a blues jam at the Boulder Outlook last week I blew out the 4 draw in an
F harp.  They kept calling for songs in C so I had to play around the note,
and ultimately changed to my F low harp.  When I got home and took apart the
harp the reed had a crease across it.  When I gently plinked it the reed
bent fully in half.

Yeah, I'd like to hear your experience with the Hering Vintage 1923 harp.
Where do you buy yours?  Musicians Friend has them for $30.00.  But I've
heard they have a metallic taste.  Have you noticed that?

BTW, I've heard your band around Denver and you guys got it seriously goin'
on.  You get great tone on your harp.  I'll hit your jam at Ziggies on 6/23.

-Rick Davis