[Harp-L] RE: blown out harps (Bill Otten)

I once played with a band, the leader of which would turn my volume down on
his PA whenever I got applause from the crowd. (I reckon they clapped for
sympathy, but he hated it anyway).
So I would blow harder, and really sucked on those reeds.

In the worst case a brand new Hohner Blues Harp once lasted the gig.
Generally I was buying a new harp every 3-4 weeks (we couldn't get plates in
S.Africa, so I imported in bulk from Best Lil Harp House(RIP)).
I've also once broken a reed -that had already cracked- when trying to
salvage the note.

Then I got my own amp, and pedal and better mic, and harp purchases reduced
to "impulse buying" only. As Bill says, breaking-in and cleanliness and
suitable work by the amp ,not the harp, seem to keep my donations to
Trossingen in check.

Best Regards  Geoff Atkins