[Harp-L] Montreal Super Sonny Review

I just read Greg Heumann's review of the Super Sonny and thought I should
also give a review.

I have owned  an original Sonny 4x8  and  now a Sonny 4x10  for years.

The 4x10 has been my main giging amp as I usually play with a very loud
band.

I was very curious about the Super Sonny upgrade  as the 4x10 is already a
great harp amp.

I contacted Sonny and arranged with him to get an upgrade kit.

After installing the upgrade, I did an outdoor show last week-end ( West
Island Blues Festival).

Wow !!  What a difference.  The amp now has more tone and grit and "sounds"
louder before going into the feedback zone.

There is much improved projection of that great tone ( I was surprising
myself on stage)  and the breakup comes

sooner but then stays nice and controlled through all the volume levels.  I
am very happy with this upgrade.

Last night I did a side by side comparison with a great sounding Fender
Bassman 4x10  that I have been tweaking for years.

I played both amps right under the feedback level and the Super Sonny had
50% more tone and volume !  The results

were similar with both a crystal and magnetic cartridge.  My preferred tube
setup with the Sonny is

12AY7gold pin,  12AT7 gold pin,  12AU7 JAN,   6L6GC Svetlana matched duet.

With some amp mods,  you really need to listen hard to pickup the
difference, especially in a band situation.

The Super Sonny just jumps out and motivates you to play better then ever.

Well done Sonny !!  Thanks for showing such commitment to continuous product
improvement.

Steven Rousseau

Montreal