RE: [Harp-L] Youtube - Sunny by Bobby Hebb

Christelle Berthon wrote:
<"Good job! As richard requested: If you do not mind sharing: what is
<the effect (envelope?) you are using on the recording. It has a "not
<too much" verve to it I like. Thank you"
<
<And I've said to Richard this is one of the numerous effect embedded
<in Garage Band the music software of the iLife '09 suite.

It's a very nice sounding auto-wah.  Not all auto-wah devices work well with harp--many of them push the mic into feedback almost instantly.

It's not always convenient to perform with a computer as the effects processor.  For those who want to use an auto wah onstage, I can recommend the Digitech FX25, the Digitech RP200, and the Digitech RP350.  The last one on the list contains a modeled emulation of the original FX25 that works even better with harp, as per my Youtube video on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBvBTc-bEM4

The very, very coolest thing about an auto wah is this: the effect responds to the strength of the note that's being fed through it.  So you can produce a sound with an evolving frequency response just by holding a note and increasing or decreasing breath pressure.  You can also trigger the filter repeatedly and rapidly using throat vibrato.  In short, you can make the harp talk in some new and exciting ways.

Did I mention how cool it is to run the harp through an octave doubler and then into the auto wah?  Big AND wild.

Regards, Richard Hunter
latest mp3s and harmonica blog at http://myspace.com/richarhunterharp