[Harp-L] RE: Dating harmonica woods

That's interesting, I didn't realize until just now when I saw
the disambiguation page on Wikipedia, just how many trees there
are called ironwood.
In West Virginia, when we say "ironwood" we mean this tree Ostrya virginiana,
eastern hophornbeam. Chris Reynolds has been making some ironwood combs for
diatonics, I had always assumed it was that wood, but looks like I might
well have been wrong.

Dave
_________________________________
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com

Splash wrote:

Lignum Vitae is usually called Iron Wood down here.

It used to be used for ships pully sheaves and propellor shaft bearings
because it has a fatty resin and is self-lubricating.  Also is impervious to
water.

There used to be a bunch of them down on Lignum Vitae Key... but I haven't
been down there in many years.  These days I just drive on thru to the lower
keys to go fishing.  There is a State Park on Islamorada. (Purple Isle)

I once heard a rumor from 7-Mile Joe that the Matecumbe Indians used to
stake their enemies to the ground underneath those trees and at night the
resins from the leaves would drop on their victims.  It was supposed to have
some kind of psychoactive agent and would drive the helpless victim crazy by
morning.  Just an Old Florida rumor... Heh!

PEACE
Splash

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostrya_virginiana