Re: [Harp-L] Dating harmonica woods

On Jun 13, 2009, at 12:03 PM, Splash wrote:

Lignum Vitae is usually called Iron Wood down here.

Right. It is so valuable now that it is used in the drug trade.

It used to be used for ships pully sheaves and propellor shaft bearings
because it has a fatty resin and is self-lubricating. Also is impervious to
water.

There used to be a bunch of them down on Lignum Vitae Key... but I haven't
been down there in many years. These days I just drive on thru to the lower
keys to go fishing. There is a State Park on Islamorada. (Purple Isle)

Yeah, I used to stop at Islamorada for turtle soup. Back when you could GET turtle soup. Still do some snorkeling down there. I'm about due. Used to do some scuba down there as the water here (Port Charlotte area) is too turbid to see more than 5 ft on a CLEAR day. (AND, nothing here to see). My old navy ship (Spiegel Grove) sits on the bottom near John Pennecamp reef park. I won't dive it. I wouldn't want to see her that way.

I once heard a rumor from 7-Mile Joe that the Matecumbe Indians used to
stake their enemies to the ground underneath those trees and at night the
resins from the leaves would drop on their victims. It was supposed to have
some kind of psychoactive agent and would drive the helpless victim crazy by
morning.

True, that's why is it now being studied as a treatment for rheumatism, arthritus, skin disorders, etc.

Just an Old Florida rumor... Heh!

No, not a rumor, but it probably took a little longer than overnight. If the indians (especially the Seminoles) REALLY didn't like you, they would stake you out under a Manchineel tree and the dew would drip the resin from the leaves onto you, and by morning, you would be covered in huge water blisters. This would attract bugs, crabs, and, well, you know what, it's too terrible to talk about. If they LIKED you, they threw you in a pit of poisonous snakes. lolol

Harmonica content: There are a TON of woods that would make your mouth burn. Some species of Eucalytus, ALL Manchineel, MOST Lignum, teak, iroko, opepe, and like that are too toxic to use. Me? personally? I would study the wood. Fruit and nut woods usually work. Acorn (oaks), and pod trees usually won't. As a young punk, I used to soak my harmonica combs in a mixture of 50/50 baby oil and melted Vick's Vapo-Rub. They tingled for a while. But I am not allergic to Camphor, Eucalyptus nor Menthol. Some people are. And VERY. Once tried Noxema...didn't like the taste. Organic oils (peanut, olive, vegatable) go rancid. Gun oils (neatsfoot, tung, linseed) aren't good for you.

Charlie Leighton used to use 3 in 1 oil on his Hohner 280s. Bleccccccch. Melted thinned lip glosses aren't any good around chromos as the formula will curl and shrivel the plastic windsavers. Hmmmm, makes you wonder? :)

smokey-joe

PEACE Splash -----