[Harp-L] Subject:Was American Chestnut combs, now stainless steel(Vern Smith, David Payne)

Among other comments, Vern writes to Winslow (snipped):

"Neither has anyone else.  Most say that the lowly wager is morally
repugnant.  I say that they lack the courage of their convictions.  It  would not
be gambling because, unlike cards or dice, the outcome can be known in
advance.  Winning  $1000 and a public recantation from me would be  doubly
sweet!"

First, Vern. Some time ago you implied that I was the  sole individual who
found the idea of a monetary wager repugnant. It's  refreshing to now
discover that I'm indeed in agreement with my peers. :)

Second, As far as I know no one cares about a 'public recantation'  from
you despite your thinking such is the case. Really.

As to your interpretation that preferring the testing to be scientific  and
not a wager means 'lacking the courage of one's convictions', I  say
'balderdash'.

You mentioned separately 'controlled conditions', but continuously refuse
to allow those conditions to be other than within your control. I've
suggested a laboratory with an audiologist or an otolaryngologist in  charge. You
ignore or brush aside any or all such suggestions. Anyone so  convinced
they're right should be willing to relinquish control to sound  experts. I think
$1,000 could go a good way to covering the costs of a  laboratory study.

As to your mention that a $1,000 wager is 'lowly', the  implication again
is that it's a mere pittance to you. To many  here who have lost their jobs
in the economic recession and perhaps also  have families to support, a wager
on something amounting to what is a  'sound test for harmonicas' is
anything but 'lowly', and I couldn't imagine  an individual being able to sell the
idea to a spouse at home worrying  about how to pay their most basic bills.

Elizabeth
fingertips.