[Harp-L] Now's The Time ! (a shout out for SPAH and local clubs)

No, no, no.....I'm not talkin' about the Charlie Parker classic (that happens to setup nice on harp!). What I AM talkin' about is NOW'S THE TIME to book your summer travel and I hope many here on Harp-L will consider making Spah part of their plans.

Yes, I know it's not in the MIDDLE of the USA this year, but that is why we should really show our our support. So this way when SPAH wants to do an east coast convention it will be successful as well ! I live in NJ/NY area although it's always a lil' more expensive travel wise, look at what you get from the environs!!! Sites and Culture as well as a great convention.

I just bought my Airline Ticket from NJ to CA for SPAH, I have been a member for over 30 plus years and the friends I've made in this organization are a huge part of my life, how many "orgs" can you say that about? I had a nice chat with Phil Caltabelotta last week and about HOW IMPORTANT it is for LOCAL Harmonica clubs ie: Garden State in NJ and The Harmonicoots in CA, to be successful. SPAH is now very strong, but what it will need to survive is for the STATE & LOCAL orgs to thrive and help spread the word and HOST national conventions.

I haven't made EVERY SPAH, but who can? But if you love your instrument it's important to see what's up every few years. New companies, new accessories for our instrument and if that isn't enough, workshops, hands on and a chance to meet other players pro and non pro that are more than happy to share the love too! Heck, I'm goin' just to be in the same hotel with the legendary TOMMY MORGAN!!

No, I'm not performing on the roster this year (not to say I won't get roped in now that they know I'm comin', and ofcourse i'd love to participate)...I will be at workshops and jams and just takin' it all in....after runnin' around the globe this past year I look forward to a lil' California sun and I hope some other Harp-lers will join me and do the same.

I say, "Just do it" YOU deserve it, you love your axe and what better way to show it than by dropping yourself in the middle of one of the biggest Harmonica event in the world for a few days!

Ok....that's my sales pitch and I'm stickin' to it....see y'all in August...at SPAH in beautiful GREEN Sacramento! and remember the words of Louis Jordan, "If you wanna have FUN get out and spend some cash",-)

* and finally, I like to send kudos out to JP Pagan for really doing an amazing transformation on the 'Harmonica Happenings Magazine'...BOY that lil' newsletter has come a long way since Danny Wilson sent me my first one back in the 70's!!..Bravo JP and thanx to Tom Stryker our President for his wise leadership.

PS....I will perform this NOV 2009 at the Garden State Convention in NJ

(Preparations are underway for a Gala Harmonica Festival to be held on Nov. 19, 20 and 21st at The Holiday Inn in Hasbrouck Heights, NJ. The Festival is only $99 for 3 days of music, playing, seminars and fun, including great evening shows, a Saturday Matinee show, a Saturday night Cocktail Party with cash bar and a Banquet and Special Show. Reduced rate tickets for individual days and events are available. All discount tickets must be paid by Aug.31st. For the special Garden State Harmonica Club Holiday Inn room rate of $109 plus tax call 201-288-7777 and reserve before October 15, 2009. )

Go to www.gardenstateharmonicaclub.org
or e-mail gardenstateharmonicaclub@xxxxxxxxxxx
for more information.

Best,