RE: [Harp-L] Will Scarlett, Pigpen, Matt Kelly

Well Josh, 8 yrs old and hanging with the Dead.  Pretty cool, young man.  When the Grateful Dead started out in 1965 Ron 'Pigpen' McKernan, was something of a frontman for the band, singing and playing harmonica with the Dead until around 1973.   A few songs that come to mind with Pig and harp... OPerator, Easy Wind, Next Time You See Me, Big Boss Man.  Matt Kelly played harp with the Dead on a few songs over the years too.  'I Need A Miracle' off of the record 'Shakedown Street' for one.  Wil Scarlet also played harp on Jerry Garcia and David Grisman's 'Not For Kids Only' record on 'THree Men Went a Hunting' (maybe others as well.)

Jim.
www.mcmule.com

>>> "Joshua King" <joshuaking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 06/05/09 4:45 PM >>>
That's interesting.  Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia songs have harmonica in
them?  I did not know who they were until I met some of them the other
month.  They were on David Letterman and I was there to do a skit.   There
were tons of fans and paps to get thru just to work that day! Not mine:( We
were in the green room with the food :) having fun talking harmonicas and
building paper airplanes.  I got to go check out that song.  Any others?

Thanks!

Josh King

www.joshuaking.net
www.youtube.com/joshuaking1