Re: [Harp-L] Toots and Howard at the Summit

I was there for a lot of what happened. I spent a lot of time in the green room with those guys & others. I was the m c for the show & Chris is telling it like it was. It was a real experience.
buzz..............................
By the way I had the time of my life at the Summit. I still think about it all the time. I can tell hours of stories about that week. It was a gas......

Buddha wrote:
Larry wrote:

"Toots was very unhappy about being made to play with Howard and was very
unhappy with the arrangements and dressing room situation - however, once he
hit  the stage, he was the consummate professional."

That's wrong Larry.

His arrangements were actually the same as when he always played in MN
for any other club except I picked him up at the airport rather than
allowing him to take a cab. That was quite a ride... I had Rob
Paparozzi, Bernard Purdie, Toots and his manger in my car. It was a
great experience.  Toots told me during that ride that I was a very
good whistler and I should do something with my whistling skills.

The whole Toots - Howard thing is where the summit went wrong for me
and the reason the event lost money.  Everything was fine until
something happened in rehearsal - I'm NOT going into details.  The
same BS continued over the next day and up to the performance.  It had
absolutely nothing to do with the arrangements and everything to do
with clashing personalities... I however was NOT involved in the clash
and did everything I could do to mend it.

So I don't know what or where you heard such things but I know that I
and two other people are the only two people that were there when
everything happened. I know from letters afterwards from Toots that he
was vary gracious for what I did. And I know the event was remember
years afterwards and whenever Toots came to town I was invited to be
his guest at the show and played with him each time.

I don't even know how the summit was brought into the SPAH
conversation as the event continues to remain the king of ALL
harmonica events to this day. I lot of work was put into making that
event happened. Nothing is ever perfect. I gave everything I had and
afterwards, lost my wife and all the money I had plus a lot of other
things. That's how passionate I am about the harmonica.  WHAT HAVE YOU
DONE?

Remnants of the Summit exist today in the Twin City Jazz Festival that
has grown from the Summit into one of the largest jazz festivals in
the world.