[Harp-L] Toots/SPAH 99

What was bad about it was the people who walked out of the performance of
the greatest Jazz Harmonicist ever.  His performance was stellar.  This is
not about Toot's, it is about the audience.  Also, the same when Mauricio
performed.

You are right about "can't please everyone," although we sure try...
Seeking a balance with jazz and what others want to hear will always be
struggle.  After all, Rock is still king.  Not a thing about older or
younger, its all about likes and understanding jazz.

Stryker

<What was shameful about Toots? At SPAH 1999, his performance w/Kenny Werner
was stellar. The audience consisted of attendees and a very large attendance
by local St. Louis folk who were turned onto the concert via excellent radio
promotion from the local jazz station and media coverage. SPAH brought in a
lot of extra $ from the tickets sold for this event.

His workshop was well attended, too. We had Kenny give an Effortless Mastery
workshop as well - not as well attended and understood as, say The Hotshots
workshop, but it definitely was a few levels above what usually happened at
the Convention - in content.>

Perhaps you were referring to a few of the older SPAH members who complained
that Toots played too many notes and was too jazzy?

Can't please everyone.....