Re: [Harp-L] RE: Harp keys cheat sheet - further uses of the Cycle of 5ths

My two cents on the harp/guitar ethics...

Sounds like a classic case of a guitarist that has a bad history with harp
players.  Often times as a harp player is building their rep and building
chops, they get very rare opportunities to play with live bands.  Because of
this, they can try to hang out all their material to take advantage of the
opportunity and forget about the arrangements-- you should play some rhythm,
jam some leads, rhythm, skip the next lead for the guitar.... I think some
guitar players look at harps as competing for air time.  Lord knows these
guys are spending as much time working on their craft.  I sometimes run into
ones that have this bad taste in their mouths.  This problem can be
compounded if you are playing through the PA.  Then you are sharing speakers
with vocals-- and the two do not mix well on the same speaker cone.

With that said-- it seems Super Dave should relax a little if this is a true
open mic night.  Trying your hand is exactly what they are for.  So- be
confident... but be mindful of the situation you are in with other band
members.  Better to leave them begging you to play more, than thinking you
are playing to much.  Be very careful of playing more then quiet rhythm when
a vocalist is singing.  Be sure to share the leads... Next time-- Play a
couple bars of lead and say, "take it Dave!"  Then he'll know you share and
dig him (even if you don't).