Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] more on neophyte Jazz Jams at SPAH 2009

--- On Wed, 6/3/09, EGS1217@xxxxxxx <EGS1217@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I suppose I'm talking about a combination of first a jam - and then a
Q&A or seminar afterwards, but very loose and relaxed and not set up as a
'classroom' but more working with us within the jam perhaps even right at
the mics? Real, practical, hands-on instruction?

I had to stop & make dinner but all the while giving this some 'Jack Handy' approach. What you suggest presents a couple problems.
1.... Spah would have to find a space to do this.
2.... It would have to be away from the hustle & bustle.
3.... Back-up would add additional cost/planning/consideration(s)
4.... You would need someone otherwise uninvolved in the other activities at spah as this would be time-centric.
5.... Why? Because this could get pretty involved

I think what would have to happen is a rendition of a Al/Judy Smith or a Joe Filisko TEACH IN. I see a couple problems.
1.... People who are going to attempt to play ANY music need a basis with which to start.
2.... The people already doing jazz have years and years to draw from.
3.... Someone would have to 'set-UP' a couple easy pieces, and have the class work on these. Everyone would learn the head of the tune.
4.... THEN the moderator (or his/her helper(s) would have to show the class what could be done with turning the chords.
5.... Then it's a mater of helping the players understand where to go with the tune.

Conclusion: It's keeps coming back to the players needing to have some starting point AND some background to build on.
Me? I think it's a tough job. Right now the players that DO play already have other experience as a basis. So THAT part is already covered.

Me? I would LOVE to see it happen. jo-jo