Re: [Harp-L] What harp instructional tips aren't covered to death on YouTube?

Mike Fugazzi wrote:

> I am off for the first summer since I've become a teacher! One of my plans
> is to create a series of YouTube vids on various topics.

thank you.

> I know that gear is a favorite of a lot of people, but what are some beginner
> to advanced instructional topics that aren't covered to death??? > What's missing from YouTube for harmonica players?

here're two (or likely more) that i'd like to see:

a series on "swing". what is it? how do you do it? what does it mean when
i read on harp-l that some player "swings hard"? talk about playing on, behind,
ahead of the beat. when would you do any of those and why? all illustrated with
clear examples. i understand some of this on a conceptual level, but like a lot of
music theory, translating that into i can hear, or something i can do, remains a challenge.

a series on accompaniment. how do you fit into a band? how to find your place without
stepping on others. cover different approaches, like playing chord rhythms, or accents after
lyric phrases, or just laying out until it's your turn to solo. how do you work with a
keyboard player, or sax player, who are often playing in the same musical space as a
harp player? cover all of this in both improv (blues jam) situations and in the context
of working out an arrangement with a band. for that matter, how would you emaulate
approaches other instruments use for accompaniment, like rhythm guitar vs. keyboards
vs. sax?

if these have already been done to death, and i just missed 'em, somebody let me know.
i know that a number of adam gussow's song dissections sort of get at that latter one.

when i say "series" above, it's because i vaguely feel like you couldn't really cover these
in a single 10 minute video. i could be wrong.

many thanks to you and the others who do so much to help the rest of us improve.