[Harp-L] Any SPAH Stories to Share?

Last year was my first SPAH. It was, simply put, a religious experience. I have lots of stories. I went as a vendor. Before the show even started, I was checking out the vendor rooms. There I ran into Brendan Power who is a customer, so we struck up a conversation - it was great to meet him face to face after so many email conversations. A hotel worker came in to drape some tables. He had a thick accent - Brendan asked him where he was from. I'm embarrassed to say now I forget exactly where, but I believe it was Bulgaria. Brendan then said "oh, I've been working on a Bulgarian folk tune - would you like to hear it?" He whipped out a harp and played this tune - and did it so beautifully the man began to cry. I choke up every time I think about it, including now.

Then there was the next evening - I walked outside to hear a classic harmonica trio performing in the courtyard. My first thought was "where's the tuba?" Seriously. Finally I realized it was an amplified bass harp. Wally Peterman was playing chord harp, whipping that huge thing from end to end without knocking out a single tooth and hitting all these cool chords - just unbelievable. It was the first time I'd heard chord harp + bass harp + chrom. I was absolutely transfixed.

Then there were the late night jams. You sit down with 40 people with harmonicas going around in a circle, and my first expectation was "this is going to be painful". I was however blown away when I realized just about everyone in the circle was GOOD and played something interesting and fresh. How cool.

There was that time when I heard L.D.Miller, Jay Gaunt and Brandon Bailey - all young teenagers with great talent - neat!

Then there was the moment, somewhere around 2:30 AM, when I found my self jamming with Joe Filisko, Brendan Power, Steve Baker, Jimi Lee and RJ Mischo. I never dreamed of playing with so many players of that caliber. How cool is that.

There were many more moments. Can't even remember them all. All I know is I can't WAIT for this year's SPAH. If it were east of New York I'd still be going. If you live ANYWHERE in the West, you have no excuse. Come. You will not be disappointed.

/Greg

http://www.blowsmeaway.com
http://www.bluestateband.net