Re: [Harp-L] RE: Harp keys cheat sheet - further uses of the Cycle of 5ths

On Jun 2, 2009, at 5:32 AM, Bill wrote:

"I was on stage with two guitarist and one of them kept showing me the chords. Now I don't now music and I don't now how to play the guitar. So I had no idea what chord he was showing me other then the fact that I might have been playing wrong"

Something to caution everyone about. If the keyboard man is calling keys out to the horn player(s), he may be using the key that the HORN is supposed to play and NOT necessarily the terminal key. Keep in mind that the horn is in another key (usually Bb), and the key called out may be the 'transposition key' FOR said horn. ...And not YOUR key.

You can also use the Cycle of Fifths to help you remember your common chord sequences. For example on a standard I, IV, V blues progression, imagine that the key of the tune is your 1st position, then your IV chord will be in 12th position and your V chord will be in 2nd. So for a blues in C you have C7 for your I chord, F7 for your IV chord and G7 for the V chord.

It also works for the ii, V, I/i, progressions that you often find in jazz and more sophisticated blues. Here again if you imagine, the key as 1st postion, the ii chord will be in 3rd position, the V chord in 2nd and the I/i chord in 1st. So in C major that gives you Dm7, G7 and Cmaj7 or in C minor typically Dm7b5, G7b9 and CmMaj7.

Hope this is useful

Bill