[Harp-L] Work Song Details - Was Imperfect Videos

Gary,

That video of the Nat Adderly classic "Work Song" was played with a Lee Oskar Gm (G Natural Minor).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o89pnCl50c&feature=PlayList&p=A237D6C83D520B3B&index=8

(PS, please ignore the ColdRail videos that are out there from 2008, a little different personnel and the band was still gelling, and I've come a ways since then! Since they're not my videos I can't remove them and its not that big of a deal to me.)

So technically that is second position playing on a Cm harp but LO marks the Natural Minors in 2nd.  If you liked that key you could play this on a standard C in 2nd with the strategic 3 draw bend to get the minor scale (ala Butterfield) or a Bb in third position.  Our approach to the song was influenced by the William Clarke cover which you should check out.

This list suggested "Chitlins Con Carne" by Kenny Burrell for the band a couple of weeks ago.  I brought it to the next practice and it was immediately what we call "ITB", In The Box.  The band clicked with it and we played that last week as well at this gig but didn't get a video.  It is similar to "Work Song" in that it has a distinctive melody, is a minor tune (we're playing it in Am), can have a jazzy flair, and is harp rythm friendly.  We blended the Junior Wells classic with the Stevie Ray Vaughan iconistic version for our feel and groove.  I'm digging it!

I read Gary Onofrio's post regarding the Cruncher' sensitivity and I think this Work Song recording is a good demonstration of that.  The harp solos sound pretty clean and jazzy with pucker playing and a loose cup.  For the solis I do with Michelle on the strat I switch from pucker to tongue blocking/slapping with a touch of octave.  The amp really breaks up with these techniques and provides a thick percusive feel.

Because the band is just one guitar with no keyboards or rythm guitar, during Michelle's solos I do a lot of rythm comp'ing using chords and octaves behind her solos and the mic/amp combo produces a totally different feel then when I am out front soloing.  The mic is a black CR as an FYI.  I am really enjoying this setup.

Message: 6