[Harp-L] Phil Caltabellotta and the HARPBeats at Spah

Gang,

Y'all who are fortunate enough to be going to SPAH and aren't familar with the HARPBeats, need to check out the Harpbeats, Phil Caltabellotta, Wally Peterman and George Miklas. I think I have mentioned before that they rule, but with SPAH coming up, I need to say so again. They freakin' rule. They play the old songs, but not the done-to-death old songs.
When you listen to the HARPBeats, it's like punching a hole in the fabric of time, thrusting your ear through and listening to the awesomeness of perfection. These are three of the best players in the world.

Here's Jerry Murad's Harmonicats doing Fantasie Impromptu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7XmGiYBCBQ

Here's the HARPBeats doing the same number:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uTJOdTIJ4s

Also, Phil has a CD out that I presume he will be selling. I remember him selling them at Buckeye 2007. Everybody  should have one. Me, I never really grew up in a jazz tradition, but I sit around listening to "Phil Up With Jazz." First, I like good music. It's good music.
But here's the deal. Phil could be playing "Puff the Magic Dragon" or "I Love You Barney the Purple Pain in Ass Dinosaur" (which he doesn't) and I would still be making my harmonica students listen to it. There are few instruments in this piece, mostly it's a duo with a guitar and the guitar is kind of far back in the mix, etc. You can hear everything. I've spent months studying this CD. You can hear his breath management. You can hear the subtlety of each tone. You can hear perfectly clear those vibrattos and beautifully clean octaves that I still marvel at as much as I did the first day I heard a Phil Caltabellotta octave. Phil's heart is the harp and he's wearing both on his sleeve in this one.

Anybody who likes jazz should have one of these CDs. anybody who likes good music should have one. Anybody who is trying to be a better harmonica player, diatonic, chromatic, whatever, absolutely has to have one.

Phil is a retired server and protector, he was a New York City cop in
Harlem during the 1960s and he was later a New York City firefighter. A
great guy and an absolute credit to this wonderful instrument of ours..

The HARPBeats are scheduled to attend the Mid-Ohio Valley Championship this Sept. 19 at noon in Belleville, W.Va. Hope to see you there.
Info about that event is posted here:
http://elkriverharmonicas.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,95.0.html

Dave
www.elkriverharmonicas.com