Re: [Harp-L] Re: New Era of SPAH conventions

On Jul 24, 2009, at 3:39 PM, Michael Easton wrote:

I saw a couple replies so I'll start from here.

I understand the metro NYC/NJ area would be expensive like Elizabeth mentioned. It would also be a traffic nightmare for some.

First of all. I can't see why the N.Y. metro area has the attitude they seem to have. There is nothing magical about New Jersey. Especially in late fall (Nov). Maybe in Aug, they think that it's 'On season'. :) It is a known fact that hotels would rather keep rooms filled at 'some' revenue than have them empty at 'no' revenue. Otherwise why would we have Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia?. It seems that places large enough to HOLD a fest may think that THEIR facility is something special and therefore worthy of increased prices. ( I DID say 'may').

It would probably take an extended family of volunteers outside the main harp clubs to host such an event so every one could have some down time to mingle and jam. Events go quick when you have to work them and over before you can enjoy the festivities.

The main thing is: What would be in it for THEM? The club, that is. There would have to be some hook to get them interested in all that work. And anyway, how much work? Does the host club do all the work? I have heard said: "If we do all the work, who needs spah"?

For many many years spah was held in Romulus Mich. It was planned with the co-operation of several clubs. Now that everything is by conference call, e-mail, and everyone is scattered, why do we even need a club ON scene? Since the leadership has to go IN to see the facilities, what else is needed? Must be a lot of small items that need ON scene planning. I don't know.

I was involved with our local jazz festival for about 15 years and understand all the planning that goes into hosting a major event that brings in fans and musicians from all over.

Ok, THAT's a big issue. 'All over'. Spah has a name recognition and draw factor that the clubs don't have. But it doesn't have to be that way. A great festival..IF kept going, can attract people. I went to Birmingham on a lark and had a WONDERFUL time. I was quite surprised. My wife is never interested in going to spah and has only made it to 2. But she was interested in Birmingham. Why, I can't imagine. She ALSO had a great time. I think the idea would be to have something for everyone.

Musicians from 'all over'. Some of the 'names' have sponsors. Some people have a business expense. Some get perks, Some expect paid. The motel has to have facilities for 393-458 people for dinner.

It takes at least 1 to 1-1/2 years to plan it out and make sure the Hotel you pick is affordable and easy to get to from major roads and airports.

Frankly, the only airports that I have seen as convenient have been Milwaukee & St. Louis. Maybe I missed something. As for roads, if you have a drivers license, you should be qualified to drive the roads available. I have had experience where a shuttle was supposed to be available only to get to the airport and find there WAS none. Then it was a $45.-$50 cab ride (+ tolls + tip) Mainly due to the hotel being pretty far away OR hard to get to what with the existing traffic.

Get freebee or discount rooms for the musicians. Organize flight plan for musicians and shuttle service. Talk to bars in close proximity about hosting special musical entertainment for a night or two. Make sure everyone is treated royally and so on.

I have never had any experience in these matters but I don't think anyone is falling over themselves to accommodate a fest as small as spah. I notice that most of these motels still have other activities going on. Romulus (for instance) used to hold family reunions and week end getaways in combination with our fests. (sometimes with screaming children) :) I keep hearing 'Block of rooms' mentioned. I don't understand what that is. We should be able to get whatever rooms we need up until the last minute as long as they are available and the motel isn't already filled. I mean, it should be first reserved-first served.

Still there are hordes of players and Pros on the East Coast that could pull it off if some harmonica org. would stick their neck out and get some serious commitments from us if needed even if we aren't club members. Maybe time to join.

The New York/New Jersey bunch are mostly not 'spring chickens' any more. They have a nice fest there, they KNOW they do, and are happy with it. It is also a very comfortable fest. Even THEY have questioned continuing it. I hope they DO. I would like to see it grow.

I like the Minn. area. I was out there for the Summit in 1999. I borrowed money for the trip. I would love to see my buddy Dick Gardner again as well as my customers.
Times are different now. Bigger mortgage, less take home pay, company controlled vacations. Reduced the cable service in Jan. to basic cable. (can't p.o. the mrs. completely).

In my case, I have several things going against me.
1...It is 350 miles just for me to get out of Fla (525 if I go west). So flying is almost a must.
2...I will no longer go into the Denver or Newark airports. (It's a personal thing).
3...Everything from Fla seems to go through Atlanta.
4...Hart's Field is a MAJOR pita. I have been stuck there on 4 occasions, missed important connections.
5...Direct flights are rare and very pricey. Sometimes $100-150 more than otherwise.
6...I am currently picking up my daughters mortgage..due to the economy.

Every region of the US has something to offer with it's rich musical heritage. CA. has cool jazz and West Coast Swing, St. Louis, Detroit and Memphis with their
take on jazz, blues and R&B. Texas with its trademark sound. The Mid-Atlantic region has it's sound too. Too bad we aren't throwing a party to celebrate.<sigh>

mike