Re: [Harp-L] Percussion for Acoustic Blues Duo

I used to see a band whose harp player (extremely good) doubled on congas (he could make those drums talk.)  Inspired by that, I got myself a cheap pair of congas, don't play them much anymore, but had some success with them in various musical configurations.  Although I never did play them with only an acoustic guitar, it could definitely work... perhaps even a nice pair of bongos on a stand could add that percussion you're looking for.  Then there's always Steve Amadee's (of Subdudes fame) Frankenstein tambourine.  He gets a tambourine with a skin, does all sorts of things to it with duct tape, bangs it with a bundle and works the skin from underneath to create different tones. http://www.subdudes.com/steve.php  A friend of mine even had a video that was put out by Steve Amadee in which he showed how he modded his tambourine and how he got some of his sounds... best tambourine instructional video I ever saw.

Jim.

>>> Rick Davis <bluesharpamps@xxxxxxxxx> 7/23/2009 1:57 PM >>>
What is your favorite percussion instrument for an acoustic blues duo... for
the harp player when he's not playing harp.  Or, playing harp on a rack?