[Harp-L] Re: Popping Popper popping

Interesting discussion (and refreshingly devoid of any Popper hate, so far). I can't speak for what Levy and Popper are doing musically -- I like both of them but am not familiar enough with their music or their training methods. But I can speak to Ricci's approach to playing fast.

Jason doesn't decide what to play based on speed; that is to say, he doesn't choose notes based on breathing patterns that are most conducive to playing fast. He writes a melody or phrase, develops it at a relatively slow tempo, and then practices it until he learns the muscle memory needed to play it faster and faster. This is the approach he teaches in lessons, and in fact he has YouTube videos devoted to the topic of playing fast. His approach is definitely not the easiest, but it pays off immensely because you can clearly hear complexities in his music, even at the fastest speed, that are almost never heard in harmonica playing. In my opinion, this is the #1 thing setting Jason apart from other players. Many others mimic his effects setup, learn to overblow as well or better, play on the custom instruments, etc. No one else that I've heard plays so melodically at such velocity, because that part requires obsessive dedication that few of us are capable of.

Jonathan Metts
Prairie Dog PR
Ph: 205.435.0991
pr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx / prairiedogpr@xxxxxxxxx