Re: [Harp-L] Popping Popper popping

Okay, I am afraid to post this.

IN MY OPINION:

All three players, Ricci, Popper and Levy are great.  I enjoy them all.

When I listened to Levy's Bela Fleck music and some other music, I did
not think of him as a speed demon.  I was amazed by his ability to
play fully chromatically as well as musically.  Of the three, I see
Levy as the most innovative and musical.  However, when I saw him play
at SPAH a few years back, I was saddened by his incessant speed
demoning.  In nearly every song, including the ballads, he would play
2 nice notes and then blahblahblahblahblah.  When he explainjed his
speed tircks in his seminar, I was saddened to discover he was
actually using a technique that did not include any bending or
overblowing and was a breath pattern that gives the illusion of speed.

Popper has always seemed to me to be the victim of the high school
quarterback syndrome.   All the geeky blues guys who are so much
better than him cannot understand why he gets all the girls.  Popper
is very innovative and musical  and his sheets of sound really create
a feeling of rocking out.  Plus, I love rock and roll.  He is also a
great singer songwriter.  I have also heard him do very melodic music.
 Popper also gets credit for not being apologetic.  He is the speed
guy and he doesn't claim to be otherwise.

Ricci is to me the least innovative and musical of the three, although
I see him as one of the most innovative and musical harp players in
the world.  To me, Ricci answered the Popper-haters call.  What if
someone played as fast a Popper but played blues licks?
Jason does throw in some overblows with great tone and phrasing and
musicality, but basically he is a very fast blues guy.  See  my
previous email for all I admire about Jason.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com