RE: [Harp-L] Subject: Re: Dave Payne and the Ohio championship

Elizabeth wrote,

"Way to go Dave!  Congratulations on such a nice acknowledgment of your
playing".

 Acknowledgement?  Is that what they call a "WIN" on Saturn or Venus or
where ever you said you're from?

To me, this highlights how difficult it is to have meaningful conversation
when there are opposing views to contend with.  Obviously, I didn't win my
wife in the "who wants to win a wife" contest and the word you added to my
statement making competition the "only" reason I believe she is mine is
ludicrous.

Adding words like you did to make your point really exemplifies how
disagreements tend to polarize everyone's position to the most extreme
stance possible.  In other words, if you don't appreciate someone's style or
music those who disagree make you out to "hate" the music or musician.

Everyone (me included) should keep this in mind when reading other peoples
posts.
Again, my point was, if you are trying to make a living playing music, you
are competing as does every other entrepreneur, business owner or any other
person who does more than sit on the sidelines in life, fearful of either
failure or success.

The intent of this post isn't to take away from a great "win", the proper
word choice for David being crowned the Ohio State Champion!  It is to give
him the deserved respect for beating the dry mouthed nervousness we all get
when we step up and compete in these "must perform" situations many in life
cower from.  Congratulations David!