Re: [Harp-L] how much was a marine band when you started?

$5.99

In a message dated 7/18/2009 7:39:33 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
elfrex@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

and  what was your first harmonica book?

In 1987, a Marine Band or pre-MS  Blues Harp was around $15 in NY.

My first harmonica and book was  Marcos' "Play Harmonica Instantly" which
covered tablature, first and second  position and very briefly third,
vibratos (vibrati?), tongue blocking, blow  and draw bends, train and basic tuning
and maintenance. It came with a Hohner  GLH and a cassete tape (remember
those?). There was no internet.

I  really wanted to play along with the Sesame Street theme as a kid on
that C  harp (it was the original reason I bought the set) but no one
was around to  tell me that it was actually played on a chromatic
harmonica by Toots  Thielemans. I tried and i tried but I had to
transpose and alter the melody  since I wouldn't know about overblowing
and overdrawing until 2004 (my  heart nearly skipped a beat on my first
middle register Bb the way Howard  Levy said his did on his first bend).
20 years later, while watching the  show with my nephew, I found Toots'
interpretation of the theme is now gone  :( and I needed youtube to find
it and finally fufill a simple childhood  dream of playing along to the
opening and closing themes in the
original  key with a C harp (now armed with the Bb and C# I needed in
the middle  register or an Eb to play it in the lower and a
self-customized Special  20).

sesame street songs. look under Sesame Street Theme  closing  credits.

http://members.tripod.com/tiny_dancer/sssounds.html#s

My  starting kit wasn't terrible at all but I will try to set up my nephew
with  something better.