Re: [Harp-L] how much was a marine band when you started?

On Jul 18, 2009, at 9:51 PM, David Payne wrote:

Ok, Joe, now you have to tell the story of what you did with harmonica that was run over by a streetcar. Tell 'em Joe about that Leone Big Seven!

Dave
www.elkriverharmonicas.com

I started diatonic in 1951 (age 9), but it only lasted 2 weeks. Harp was run over by a streetcar. Started chromo in 1955 (age 12 1/2) but could never play around my parents. They didn't like noise. (I should have seen the writing on the wall). :)

smo-joe
_
It's a silly story. I was running to catch a streetcar for school. a..Italian articulated 2 piece unit. b..British occupation forces dependant's school. Aaaanyway, my harp fell out of my corduroys and fell onto the track behind the front unit and the wheels of the rear unit crushed the end of my MB. I was able to saw off the crushed end, do some cover re-shaping, and make a 7 hole harp.

I spotted a Seydel big 6 at Buckeye a couple years ago and started laughing my butt off. Most 5 or 6 hole harps are miniaturized in some way, but the Seydel was just like mine. Except for being short, it was fat/full sized otherwise.

smo-joe