Re: [Harp-L] how much was a marine band when you started?

My feelings at the time were that Shoemakers had a bunch of old stock that
nobody was interested in for years till me and my best friend got into
harmonicas.  We bought up almost everything he had in the way of guitar
strings and harmonicas over those several years.  And then he started
stocking the newer stuff.  And we bought them too.

Shoemakers was primarily a band instrument shop.  He did all the repairs for
the school music departments in town and the old man had quite a bunch of
fine European stringed instruments.  Once he figured out that I was a real
musician and had a respect for fine instruments, he was quite proud to show
me his violins and cellos.  He could play - too!  I'm certain that he got a
kick out of us young kids with our long hair &c. being actually interested
in him and his playing.  We were honestly appreciative.  That was a cool
time between us while in the news was the VietNam war and riots and National
Guardsmen shooting American college students and all that.  That little shop
was a kind of refuge from all that crap.  He put new pads and springs on my
old C-Melody Sax.  I still have it around here somewhere.  Had to make reeds
for it myself.  Anyway...

Those kinds of shops are long gone around here. He had an attic that had
dust and cobwebs since Teddy Roosevelt was Pres!  =8^D.  I loved rooting
around in there.  Those old vintage parts today would be worth a fortune.
Alas poor Urich!

Then came the draft #32 in 72.

Another chapter in life...........

PEACE