Re: [Harp-L] how much was a marine band when you started?

On Jul 18, 2009, at 12:24 PM, Gary Calahan wrote:

Hello,

In 1969, Marine Bands were $1.75 and the Blues Harp was $2.25. I was in tha Navy stationed in Iceland and just been introduced to Canned Heat, Paul Butterfield, John Mayall and Hot Tune (Live at Berkley". Will Scarlett still blows me away. I wish I could remember the dude that introduced me to Harp. He was from Boston and an awesome player than!

Anybody know a great harp player from Boston who was in the Navy stationed in Iceland winter of '69 & '70??? I know.....that is a long shot!

Gary C.

Thanks Gary, I realize that this isn't all that much harmonica related but I find this interesting. I keep reading that this guy or that guy bought a harmonica for 50 cents or 75 cents, some even quoting 25 cents. Wow, and I am totally confused. According to my memory, I don't ever remember these kinds of prices. Using the Marine Band and 2009 as a guide at $29.95, here's what I seem to remember.

In 1999 you should have been able to get one for $17.97. That seems about right (discounted dealer, btw)
In 1989...$10.78. That also seems about right
In 1979...$6.47. Ditto
In 1969...$3.88. Ditto
In 1959...$2.33. Ditto
In 1949...$1.40. I'm not sure.

Ok, It was about a week or two before Christmas of 1951 when I bought a Marine Band in the PX at Trieste Italy. Even though it was a British PX, they are always known for low prices. I paid $1.15 in military scrip. I remember it like it was yesterday. These were all paper bills. The dollar was beige, the dime was pinkish, and the nickel was greenish.

My feeling is that any store that was selling for under these prices was doing it at a loss and only for the convenience of having them on hand in case someone was browsing. Maybe for stocking stuffers, prizes, report card rewards, etc.

Maybe someone else has a better handle on this.

smo-joe