Re: [Harp-L] how much was a marine band when you started?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Rogers"
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2009 8:37 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] how much was a marine band when you started?

> I believe my first M.B. was fifty cents.  No books.
>
> Bullfrog

1968 I think it was.
Marine Band harmonicas at Shoemaker's Music were 59c.
Old Standby was 25c.
Vest Pocket Harp was 10c.
Then the Blues Harp came out - $1.25  and the MB was 75c.
For some reason, I thought the Blues Harp was the better choice and bought a
set of 12.  They had to be better 'cuz they cost more, right?  I still have
several of that original set.

Then Nixon re-did our tarriffs and they went up.  MB were $2.75 1972 I
think. BH $3.75   but gas was cheap and sliders were $2.00 for a box of 12.
My mortgage was $204 a mo.

My brand new 72 Strat cost $225 and a used '68 Super Reverb (which I
immediately BF'd and still have) I paid $150.  I used to wish I still had
that guitar... I sold it to pay a mortgage payment and I still have my house
(now paid for), but if I hadn't sold that Strat, my Mom wouldn't have got me
that old beat-up '54 strat as a bday present many years later from a friend
whose father had passed away.  So it's all good.  There is hardly any
sweeter sound than a '54 Strat thru a BF Super.  =8^D  Life is good.

Think I'll go play some.

PEACE
Splash
P.S. The real '54 is in safe storage, I normally play a '54 RI from '83 and
a 40th Anniv from '94.