[Harp-L] Mitch Kashmar coincidences

   You know, I'm always going to be a shuffle/swing guy.  I love jazz, but
when the jazz tried to get on the rock bandwagon with those boogaloo
instrumentals....man, that was some bad shit.  And I don't mean "bad" as in
good.  Strangely enough, I could listen to Latin rhythms all night long.
I'm a real sucker for those rhumbas that break into a swing.  Like B.B.
King's "Woke Up This Morning".  But as I said, a little funk goes a long way
with me.
   I did catch War about 20 years ago with Lee Oskar blowing harp.  It was
kind of a loose jam band but, like a lot of guys, I love hearing Lee hit
those riffs with the sax player.  But I saw them already and I'm not sure
Mitch can improve upon Lee.  But if Tall Paul goes, I'm sure he'll have a
good time.  It's an outdoor theatre and the weather tomorrow night is
supposed to be good.
    I didn't say that there was a storm brewing over whether or not Mitch
Kashmar's playing was competent, but rather the level of competency.
Whether or not he was a fair, good, or great player.  I think most of us
would agree that Mitch is at least a good player, and some would place him
in the great category.  Storm was probably too strong a word.  We've
certainly seen more heated disagreements on harp-l.
   And what can I say about Joe Leone?  The man has a lot of mischief in
him.  He's an unconventional guy and he plays harp that way, too.
Differently from everyone else.  What else would you expect from a maverick?
   I wanted to say a quick word about the SPAH Convention.  The only way I
could swing it was to combine our annual vacation with a trip to
the convention.  So my wife and I will be out early hiking in Point Reyes
and guzzling wine in the Russian River Valley before I drag her to SPAH on
Thursday.  We're staying at a couple b&bs before hitting Sacramento.  In
both cases when I made reservations the people asked, "What brings you out
here?".  I have to say that they appeared to be fascinated at the thought of
a harmonica convention in their backyard.  One guy confessed to me
that, "You know, I have one of those in a drawer.  You'll have to give me a
lesson".  That's what I get for volunteering information.

Mick Zaklan