Re: [Harp-L] Re: Looking for new ideas

I useta think of blues music as primitive, back when I was studying jazz
and caught up in elitism. Then, I watched videos of ODBG performances (at the
 first Centrum Port Townsend Blues Week). I was impacted by the raw emotion
which  turned off my intellectual brain temporarily. When I came back down
to earth, I  realized that blues was complex - but from the gut complex
instead of "heady"  complex.

Also, I began to see the simple chord progression as a challenge in which
to become creative rather than a limitation. Personally, I started to push
the  boundaries and go "out" a bit in my interpretation, but artistic license
is a  good thing. Luckily, I connected with a lot of audience as well as
alienating  some of the blues purists - and, this music sure welcomes the
harmonica as an  integral part.

Primitive? perhaps in the evolution into the 21st Century in which brain
power and communication is king, this music may be perceived as primitive.
Limiting? not at all when exercising one's imagination.

For instance, at IAJE a few years back, after days of BIG BANDS BLASTING
contemporary arrangements, fusion groups playing millions of notes, everyone
into the cerebral aspects of jazz, one of the BEST sets and one which
definitely  had a different impact and all encompassing feel on the audience, was
Stanley  Turrentine playing blues w/organ trio. As has been said before,
one note from a  competent blues artist sure spoke truer than a flurry of
notes from a  woodshedding technician intent on speed chops.

Larry

In a message dated 7/15/2009 8:36:36 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,