[Harp-L] RE: Harp-L Digest, Vol 71, Issue 72

Classic Rock harp songs...As you know, most classic rock songs are still in I-IV-V, just sped up and "rocked out". Most of your CR harp players are also the main singers with their emphasis on singing. Harp is used mostly as an effect so the playing doesnt really have to be "that good". Regrettably, this thinking also produces playing from the likes of Brett Michaels and Alannis. (oghhhhh)

IMHO, the songs below represent a decent cross section of CR songs with harp in them. I have always played in CR bands and have played most of the songs listed below. While most are not very challenging to play (Tom Petty), they are pretty fun and the audience seems to love them.

Midnight Rambler..Stones (Jagger)

Love is Strong..Stones (Jagger)

Some Girls...Stones (Sugar Blue)

Miss You...Stones (Sugar Blue)

Livin in the USA...Steve Miller (Norton Buffalo)

Custard Pie...Led Zep (Plant)

Nobody's Fault but Mine..Led Zep (Plant)

When the Levee Breaks..Led Zep (Plant)

Jean Jeanie...Bowie

Pink...Aerosmith (Tyler)

Rats in the Cellar..Aerosmith (Tyler)

Big 10 Inch..Aerosmith (Tyler)

I should have known better..Beatles..(Lennon)

Love me do..Beatles (Lennon)

Please Please Me..Beatles (Lennon)

Mary Janes Last Dance (Tom Petty)

You dont know how it feels (Tom Petty)

What I like about you (Romantics)

Good Clean Fun (Allman Brothers)

Done Somebody Wrong (Allman Brothers)

Magic Bus..The Who (live version..Daltry)

Baba O'Riley..The Who (live version..Daltry)

Little White Lie..Sammy Hagar..(Huey Lewis)

Working for a Living..(Huey Lewis)

Bad is Bad..(Huey Lewis)

Desire..U2 (Bono)

Roadhouse Blues..Doors (John Sebastion)

Run thru the Jungle...Creedence (Fogerty)

Middle of the Road..Pretenders (Hynde)

And of course, there is the entire catalog by.......Blues Traveller.....but thats niether Classic Rock or Blues is it? Dont forget Neil Young, Bob Dylan and Springsteen....