Re: [Harp-L] Ricci and the work

Good posting.
RJ is under 40 and is in the process of doing the work as you describe in your email....

-----Original Message-----
From: michael rubin <michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, Jul 10, 2009 3:31 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] Ricci and the work

I think Jason is a great player. I enjoy his playing.  I like the
style, he's got soul and feeling and he is very technically advanced.
I can only take about an hour show before I get bored with the fast,
high energy thing.  But that hour kicks butt!  I do not think he is as
innovative as many seem to, but I believe he has found a way to
popularize many ideas that have been floating around for a long time
and combine them in a new way.  I think he is a very nice, humble
person and a good teacher who understands the importance of community.
 I also appreciate his openness about his lifestyle and hope it
encourages others to do the same about whoever they are.

So with all this, I have often wondered, why do we talk about Jason
all the time?  If there is anything Youtube, harp-l, SPAH, etc has
shown us is that there are loads of incredible harp players in the
world playing technically advanced, interesting, soulful music.  Why
do we keep on talking about Jason?

Because Jason has done the work.  He has put together (and held
together) a  band of great, nice musicians.  He has written the songs.
 He has learned to sing.  He has bought the equipment and learned to
use it.  He has studied the masters both on record and in person.  He
has played the sideman gigs with some great artists.  He has put out
the CDs.  He bought the van.  He booked the gigs and played them, all
300 plus per year after year.  He has bought the videocamera.  He has
plastered utube with playing and teaching.  He has run two large scale
teaching seminars.  He has put together the SPAH pre-convention show
year after year.  You name it, he has done it.

Now, there are older players, Wilson, Estrin, Harman, Musselwhite who
have done and continue to do the work.

Name me one other player 40 years old or younger who has done the work.

It ain't me, babe.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com