Re: [Harp-L] Harp L - Neuvou ricci

Early 80's?

The late Paul De Lay was brought to Chico by a Chico Blues Society (I was a founding member). (Chico , California)
One of a series of great Oregon Blues bands that came to town..None of them were well known but we sponsored their gigs.
Robert Cray was one of these groups and they all kicked butt...What's in the water in Portland?

Paul was different from anyone else...His Band was top notch...The Piano player stood up while he played our old upright grand and beat the hell out of it.
On his break..Paul came over to me at the bar and said " hey Dad"...
We spoke for the whole break and he has to be the coolest cat I ever met. I became a huge fan.
While he played, he would always be tweaking his volume knob..kinda like Robben Ford uses his volume knob like a pedal.
It almost seemed like a nervous habit but I learned it was a big part of his getting just the right note.

I think, like myself, he may have really struggled (wrestled) with his tone/amp/mic/sound...not sure. He liked to vary his sound.

He could play in any position and then take out the Chromatic to change to landscape.
A true Original...he never tried to be anybody else...
Would love to know more about him and who his Mentor/enfluences were... (in portland?)

Don't want to hear so much about troubles...
Bless his soul...we know he had some...

Does anyone know how he came to being so damm good.

I only heard of him from other Oregon players that I met in Hawaii.
He was not widely known in his early years.
Tim Holbrook as a good player from Oregon and knew of him.
How about a little Artist's History about this 'Big Daddy"
(out of respect,  no expose' pieces here please)

Grant