From: Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 11:14:21 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Jazz chromatic books-fakebooks

Philharpn@xxxxxxx wrote:
<Has anybody ever tried sitting down with a jazz fakebook -- there are a
<several brands out there -- and played those tunes on a harp?
<
<While transcribing a tune off a recording is certainly a valuable
<experience -- wouldn't playing from a fakebook or Jamey Aebersold playalong book save
<lots of time? (Most of the tunes mentioned are standards that have been
<transcribed.)
<
<The conversation is about playing jazz -- and most jazz standards already
<have been transcribed. If people don't like a transcription, they can change
<a few notes or the rhythm. But isn't that easier than starting from scratch?
<Why reinvent the wheel?

When you say "most jazz standard already have been transcribed", you must be referring to the tune,
not the solos.  Since jazz standards by definition are played by every jazz musician, it's not likely
that every performance by every soloist has been transcribed. Fakebooks only provide the head
(melody) and chord changes.  I've never seen a fakebook that includes the solos as played in a particular
performance, with one exception--I have a couple of books of Allman Brothers tunes that include transcriptions
of the guitar solos as played by Duane Allman and Dicky Betts.

If you want to study a particular solo by a particular soloist as recorded in a specific live or studio
session, you have to do it yourself in most cases.  And that's where the gold is.  Not the heads--the solos.

Thanks and regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter