Re: [Harp-L] Contest?

On Jul 11, 2009, at 12:53 AM, S Barteau wrote:

Hi. I'm organizing a harmonica contest in New Mexico in October, and I could use a little input. We had one last year, and it was way cool, a few local people showed up to play, and everyone had a blast. We want to do it again, maybe just a little bigger and better.

It's part of a smallish music fest, 2 days, 2 outdoor stages, local bands, a lot of variety, a couple of headliners from out of town, beer from the local micro-brewery, pretty nice. Would anyone care to offer an opinion, from a player's perspective, about what would make a player want to travel a hundred or more miles to take part? (New Mexico's a big state.) I'm thinking it's not just about the prize money, although I imagine that's part of it.

Obviously it's not going to be Yellow Pines, or SPAH, but I'd still like it to be something kind of special. Any advice?

Suzanne from Socorro (just a newbie on the harp)

Ok, here's what you're up against.
The population center of the continental U.S. is just west of St. Louis. So, that ain't you.
The geographical center of the continental U.S. is at Lebanon Kansas (I have no idea of where that is) but it's a good guess that this isn't you either.
I assume a couple things here.
1... You are probably a town.
2... It is probably an outside venue.

There are things you don't want. They are:
1... You don't want motels that are unreasonably priced.
a... Columbus Ohio (for instance). They add a ridiculous 16 3/4 % bed tax.
I... So, not only do you pay for the room (which HAS a bed). You also have to pay for the privilege of sleeping.
2... You don't want the place to be so detached or remote that the only option is to eat at the venue
a... Everything Ala-cart on the breakfast menu is over $10.oo (so you get the breakfast buffet)
I... The breakfast buffet is $12.95
3... You are not so remote that air/train/even BUS transportation is unavailable or far away.
a... A person arrives at the airport only to find that the shuttle that WAS supposed to be available...isn't
I... Necessitating a $43.50 (+ tip) ride from your transportation
*... Each way
4... It has been my experiences in the past that festival planners aren't very good at negotiating room rates.
a... One particular festival has used 2 of the top THREE depressed areas as locales.
I... Certainly these areas shouldn't be so arrogant as to demand top rates.
*... But they do
5... Having to pay $28.50 for dinner gets tedious. $8.50 to $13.oo for a 'box' lunch or sandwich table is also.
6... People coming in from out of town don't want to be nickel dimed to death.
7... Snotty personnel at the venue are not acceptable. Milwaukee was the best town I have ever visited. Birmingham a close second, St. Louis third, and yada yada yada. It was as if they appreciated the business.

Here's the deal. If you DO attract some luminaries from out of state there will be a few reasons why they came.
a... They represent some higher entity and their freight is being subsidized.
b... They think the trip would be interesting. (it's something new)
( 1... in my case, (and I am NOT a luminary), I would bring my wife. She wants to go to Roswell)
( 2... in my case, I wouldn't GO to Yellow Pine. Nothing against Yellow Pine. Just not interested. Too far away for me).

Prize money couldn't possibly be a motive to come. At least not any kind of distance.

I have probably missed at least 3 (or more) other important issues, but this will get you started.

Joseph Leone
North Port Charlotte, S.W. Florida