Re: [Harp-L] RE:butterfields last album

I may have told this story before, but I guess it bears repeating.
Some friends of mine in a regional blues band opened for Butterfield in La Crosse, Wis. toward the end of his life.  After the performances, they were all gathered somewhere and doing what musicians do (drinking and whatever) and playing.
Butterfield was so wasted that my friend had to tune his guitar for him. Though they said he played just fine during his show, his lifestyle obviously was not designed to keep him with us for a long time.
that said, some of you younger players need to realize that there were not many harp players back then for us to listen to. Some of us located out in the middle of nowhere had even fewer recordings to get hold of. Butterfield's early work especially, was a standard that few of us could even come close to reaching in our early playing.
I don't care if any of you like his playing. But I sure do.
Old fart harp player here, just doing the best I can.
Steve Webb in Minn.
Steve Webb in Minnesota