[Harp-L] RE: Crossover is a two way street

Previous talk of black and white musicians, and the recent Butterfield
discussion, has prompted the following observations.
I have seen a white boy harp player get up with some very good black
musicians. You can see it is "just another white boy with a harp" until he
starts to play.  Then the black musicians start moving with his playing, a
smile crosses their face and they dig a little deeper as they feel a new
energy level.  I have seen this on more than one occasion, so I feel
confident of my observation. I think, at that point, color leaves the
building. The only thing that matters is the synergy of the group and the
feeling for the music they are creating together. They hear, through his
music and his playing with passion, that he belongs.    At the close, there
is a new found feeling of mutual respect and evidence that music can cross
all barriers.