Re: [Harp-L] Video of solo natural minor harp performance w/amp modeler

"Doug" wrote:
<Those are amazing and haunting sounds!   How well does it work to use effects like this when playing as part of a combo?

I've been using amp modelers in performances with various combos for years now, so in general the approach works. Ultimately it comes down to whether a particular effect works with a particular band playing a particular song.

Modulation effects like vibrato, flange, chorus, and rotary speakers work on lots of stuff--if it didn't Hammond organists wouldn't drag those Leslie speakers around.  Effects like a low octave doubler also work in lots of situations, and in fact I get a lot of positive feedback from the people I play with when I kick in a patch with a low octave on it.

Effects like delay and reverb are very widely used among harp players, but they're the ones that you need to be most careful about, because they take up a lot of sonic and rhythmic space in an ensemble sound, and of course there's a lot of delay on the sounds in this piece.  If I were playing "Pull of the Moon" with a combo, I might dial the delay way back on the patches.  But then again, I might not.  Big delays all around are a staple in certain electronica styles.

Thanks, Richard Hunter
author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter