[Harp-L] Levon Helm

As long as his name is coming up on a bunch of subject lines...

Levon Helm's first solo record, at least his first in years, Dirt Farmer, came out a couple of hears ago and rarely left my car CD player for months. I thought it was amazingly beautiful, still do. Buddy Miller, who co-produced the vonBrellas record with me back in the early 90's, has a beautiful song on it.

Levon's new record just came out, and it is even better. It's called Electric Dirt. You can, and probably should, purchase it at www.levonhelm.com

Little Sammy Davis is listed as playing on it, though I am yet to hear any harp after a number of listens, though for all I know it's right out front. I'm so blown away by the songs, the band and Levon's singing that I find myself emotionally rivetted by the entire experience, and am not listening to individual playing.

As a guy who has consumed the music of the Band from the summer of '68 until now, I have no trouble recommending this new Levon disk wholeheartedly. Most records by members of the Band after they broke up, including the RCO All-Stars, don't quite measure up to the standard the Band set. Both of Levon's recent records do, far's I'm concerned.