[Harp-L] Harmonica Karma Sutra

I am having a hard time getting this 12th positions concept. I get 2nd
position for playing the blues scale and 3rd position to play minor keys
(when you don't have a minor harp, of course). But beyond that I don't get
the "why".

Is it to play songs that are written with notes outside of the standard
scales?
Is it because the songs are written in the "non standard" scales?
Is it a genre thing?
Is it a challenge issue to push ones ability?

I guess I am a blues guy at heart and like 3 chords and 5 notes. I am truly
interested in understanding why some of you are playing in all those other
positions. I am not criticizing, I just don't get it. It seems like the
farther away from 1st position you get, the more you are limited (or
challenged to bend precisely).

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Derwood