Re: [Harp-L] Lee Oskar Minor Tuned Harp

Tom Halchak wrote:
<I just received a Lee Oskar minor tuned harp in the mail yesterday.  It's a Dm.  I didn't know what to expect, but I couldn't wait to play it.  I am <admittedly not very strong (yet) in my music theory.  What a unique and beautiful sound it makes!  Just running up and down the holes <produces the equivalent of what would be a very complex riff on a major tuned diatonic.  I have only had it for about 12 hours and have only <been able to play it for a half hour or so and have already found three songs that really fit on the minor tuning.
<
<Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone
<Summertime
<When Johnnie Comes Marching Home Again
<
<All these can be played in, what appears to me, as the first position and they sound great.  I can play these on a major tuned harp but just try <Ain't no Sunshine When She's Gone on the 1-5 holes  on a major tuned harp - it is full transitions from half step bends to full step bends and has <more twists and turns than a roller coaster.  It's a neat tune to play but sometimes if you don't hit the bends just right in the transitions it can <sound pretty sloppy (for me at least).  On the minor tuned harp it just fits.  Sounds beautiful.
<
<It seems to me that the minor tunings would be great for jazz.  Am I wrong?
<Can anybody offer some suggestions as to what type or even some songs that are better played on a minor tuning?

The songs that work best with this tuning are songs in minor keys--no surprise there--and most specifically songs in either dorian (1st position in this tuning) or aeolian (second position in this tuning) mode.  Whether the instrument is used for jazz, or blues, or anything else really depends more on the conception of the player than on the capabilities of the instrument--which is really the case for every diatonic harmonica. I've recorded pieces on this instrument in a wide range of styles.  You can hear a number of examples at http://taxi.com/rhunter:

- When Johnny Comes Marching Home:  folk, 1st position.  This arrangement in particular takes advantage of the fact that chords sound great on this tuning, and practically every note harmonizes smoothly.
- Comin Home Baby and How Long Have I Loved You: second position.  The first piece is a blues, the second piece is jazz with accompaniment by guitarist Jerome Harris.  FYI, another well-known blues that lays beautifully on an NM harp in second position is "The Thrill is Gone," which I haven't recorded.
- Paris Boogie: amped blues, 2nd position.
- Minor Kill: amped blues, 2nd position.
- The Longing: smooth jazz, 2nd position.
- Widow's Walk: impressionistic classical music.  1st position, 2nd position, and 5th position.
- Bela's World: impressionistic classical music, 3rd position.
- Pull of the Moon: rock electronica, 2nd position.
- Rock Heart: classical with rock influences.  1st and 3rd positions.

As you can see, I like this tuning.  Most players will find that it fits very easily into their style, and it sounds great right out of the box with licks you already know and love on the standard diatonic.

FYI, later today I'm putting a solo harmonica electronica version of "Pull of the Moon" up on Youtube.  I'll announce the URL in a separate message.

Thanks and regards, Richard Hunter
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter