Subject: Re: [Harp-L] gross topic?

While doubting that Winslow is actually 'starving'....I couldn't agree more
 with your post, Smokey. Winslow is an incredibly generous and unfailingly
patient source of information here and on Slidemeister....and yet, he's
also  given us this great book (I still haven't worked my way through it
entirely  since I save it to read during my twice weekly PT sessions while  hooked
up to the electric stim) - am deliberately savouring it piecemeal,
something I've never done with other books before. It gives me something to look
forward to getting lost in on days which would otherwise not be fun.

But I digress...someone wondered why we weren't 'asking Winslow'? Perhaps
because some of us feel we've already long since picked his brains enough
for  our particular topics and don't need to be bombarding him with more, but
instead are going out and showing our appreciation by buying this book he
took  such time and trouble to put together, for his years-long gracious
presence here answering even the most mundane query put to him  by umpteen harp
players. We'll leave the current Q&A's to those who  haven't already had
all their questions answered by the Wizard.
At least, that's my reason.  I prefer showing him my thanks by  buying his
book.

 He was the first person to respond graciously when I joined this list
years ago and wanted to know what keyed chromatics to acquire to play along
with my favourite guitarist, Peter White. He was right as always.  I can  now
play along with Peter's music right on key with his crystalline guitar  with
no trouble at all. I have Winslow to thank for giving me that, and it was
only one of many queries I made onlist.

Have someone give you the book for your birthday,  anniversary, belated
Father's Day....whatever occasion you can think up. It's  not expensive...comes
with a CD Rom....is worth every penny you'll spend... less  than a cheap
harp.  And you'll continuously refer back to previous  chapters.

It may be NAMED 'Harmonica for Dummies' - but there's nothing 'dummy'
about it -if you don't allow your ego to get in the way of thinking you're too
advanced a player to own this book.  The title is purely tongue  in cheek
<G>  And even if you do already know everything he  covers?  You can use it as
a teaching tool if that's your leaning. Unlike  other harmonica books I've
read (and I own more than a dozen at this point) -  this one is written so
clearly and concisely even a dummy like me on diatonics  can grasp his
concepts and yet advanced players  can derive lots of information as well since
several have already  praised it.

I really enjoyed this one short little chapter: 'Trial and Error: Playing
along with Random Music'...since it's something I've been doing
automatically  all along...but Winslow explains it to where it makes sense...talks about
 finding the key of the harp - then using the circle of fifths...or with
the cheat sheet provided in the book.  The next chapter (I haven't  always
gone straight through - have skipped back and forth) is: Bending Notes  Up:
Overbending..

Winslow has tabs and music for songs he's WRITTEN.  How can you beat  that?
And explains everything in concise detail. I got his book as a slightly
delayed extra birthday gift and I couldn't be happier. When people laugh at
the  title....(those who know I play 'well enough')...it gives me a
conversation  starter "ah yes, but that's only on chromatics'...I'm now trying to
learn  diatonics..a whole 'nother world". I have no illusions about my
skills...I'm a complete amateur, especially on diatonics.

I couldn't think of another person to have written this book 'better' than
Winslow.

if you buy it, you won't be sorry.

Elizabeth

"Message: 7