Re: [Harp-L] gross topic?

Cold germs die by themselves if left to dry.

I would NOT boil any harmonica. Plastic combs will warp from the heat. Even all-metal harmonicas could suffer damage, and why go to such extremes?

Here's what I would do:

1) take a screwdriver and disassembled the harp. Keep the screws and nuts in a small container - jar lid, etc. to keep them from getting lost.

2) Take a dry toothbrush and brush off any loose gunk from the comb - especially around the mouth of each hole. Do the same around the front edge of each reedplate.

3) Dunk the comb in warm water with some dish detergent and just leave it for awhile. Later you can scrub it with a toothbrush as needed.

4) Clean the reedplates. You could soak them in the soapy water for awhile, or spray them with a liquid cleaner like Kaboom (as Jason Ricci demonstrated in a recent YouTube Video, which I suggest you check out). Then take a moist toohbrush and scrub then from side to side, not along the length of the reed, to avoid getting the toothbrush bristles snagged in the reed slots. If the reedplates are caked with a lot of corrosion or immovable junk, you might try using metal cleaner, but avoid anything corrosive or toxic, and rinse extremely well afterward.

5) Thoroughly rinse reedplates and comb after clelaning.

6) Reassemble the harp. Take care when attacheing the reedplates that the front of each reedplate lies up with the front of the comb and the reeds are dentered over their channels. When you tighen the screws, start from the middle of the harp and work out ward.

Special notes about tightening screws:

1) In factory assembly the screws may cut their own thread in the lower reedplate. Often the job is not completed and as a result the reedplate is not tryuly snug. You may find yourself finishing the job of thread cutting, which requires a bit of elbow grease. The benefit is that the harp will be more airtight than it was out fo the box.

2) Warning: Despite what I wrote above, don't over-tigthen the screws. Findish cutting the thred, then loosen all the screws a little. Re-check alignment of reedplates to comb, then tighen again, starting in the middle and working outward. Tighten only until the screw is snug and the screwsriver iresists your fingertips. If the screws are too itght, they will press the reedplate down and make it buckul up away from the comb in neighboring areas, introducing leaks.

Winslow Yerxa