Re: [Harp-L] Re: Let's talk Little Walter

Patrick,
I am not sure which part of Juke you are referring to, but I know that
the flat 4 is not a common phrase in music theory talk.  The reason is
as follows:

Flat can be defined as "one note lower than".  In Juke, Walter is
playing in the key of E.  Here is the E major scale with the numerical
scale degree values underneath the scale tones.

E F# G# A B C# D# E
1  2  3    4 5  6   7   8

What is the 4? A.  If you play a flat 4, that means you are playing
one note lower than A.  What is one note lower than A?  G#, otherwise
named Ab.  There is already a G# in the scale.  G# is the third note
in the E major scale.  It would be unusual to name G# as a flat 4,
because it already has the numerical scale degree value of 3.  You
would call it a 3.

My guess is you are actually talking about the 5, B.  The flat 5 would
be Bb, or A#.
If Walter was alternating between the 5 and the flat 5, that would
mean moving from B to Bb.  On an A harp that would mean either 1 draw
and 1 bend, or 4 draw and 4 bend.  That is a very common move in blues
harp.  It is so common in the blues, that both the flat 5 and the 5
are in what is commonly referred to as the blues scale, 1 3b 4 5b 5 7b
8.

What might be causing some confusion is that hole 4 draw uses the
number 4 in its harmonica tablature name.  Just because you play hole
4 draw with and without bending does not mean that you are playing the
4 and the flat 4.  The terms 4 and flat 4 do not refer to the numbers
on a harmonica.  They refer to the numerical scale degree values of
major scales and the accidental notes in between major scale notes.

Patrick,  part of the problem with email communication is that you
have to guess at what another person means.  If you understood
everything I have said above and have another reason why you are using
the term flat 4, please explain it to me.

Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com