Re: [Harp-L] Re: Original Hohner Pro Harp/painted covers

Let's not forget that Lee Oskars are tuned A441, which is slightly sharper than A440.
On 28 Jan 2009, at 20:42, Jonathan Ross wrote:

On Jan 27, 2009, at 11:19 PM, John F. Potts wrote:

BUT, let's use a different reference point. Most players i talk to think Lee Oskars sound BRIGHT (whether they happen to like them or not). Do you contend that you sound the same whether you are playing a Lee Oskar in the key of C, a Marine Band in the key of C, or a Suzuki Hammond in the key of C? No tonal differences?

The side vents on the Marine Band may influence the tone, or at least my perception of it by redirecting the sound. Aside from that, no significant tonal differences when I play different diatonics--certainly none I would expect a listener could detect. The initial sound produced by blowing them with a bellows or in a non-playing style of all of these does have a very slightly different tone. I would suppose that is most likely do to the reed scaling and then possibly other factors (neither cover-plate material nor coating being one of those). The main difference I (and I suspect most people) would tend to hear when playing the three harps mentioned would be one of temperament--the LO and PM are 12TET, the MB is not.

How about if you play a Marine Band in C (which has vented covers) and a Hohner Meisterklasse in C (which has full length unvented covers)? No tonal differences? Really?

Richard Hammersley Grantshouse, Scottish Borders http://www.last.fm/music/Richard+Hammersley http://www.myspace.com/rhammersley http://www.myspace.com/magpiesittingdown